Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Behold...Day of Reminiscence

Today is Reminiscence day.  If it were Wednesday, I'd call it way back Wednesday.  But it's not.  In having a conversation with my co-worker about the 5th grade, I found myself going down a rabbit hole of google images.  I just had to share it with you all.  

Behold!! The shoes I would have killed for but my mom could not afford:

 

That's right. LA Gears ladies.  LA Gears.  Those pink & black twisted fins on the side made me swoon on the daily.  I remember trying these on in the store just to savor the flavor, but for a moment, and feeling like those things were pillows on my poor, ragamuffin feet.  Instead, I had the Payless Champion knockoffs.  How sad.  Next up: ESPIRIT book bags.  

Now, if you did not have one of these, then you were probably rocking an ergonomic backpack.  When I got one of these for Christmas, I thought the heavens had rained down cool.  Unfortunately, by about the third month of using this piece of cool, I developed a serious shoulder lean, a severe backache and probably some minor scoliosis.  This would not be the first time I experienced physical pain for the sake of fashion. 

 And even though these were probably en vogue a few years before these previous items, I'd like to do a special shout out to my charm collecting readership. 

 

I still wish I had mine...don't you???  Apparently you can find them on eBay for a low, low price of $40.  I feel like a few years ago they were selling for over $200.  I guess demand is down now that we're becoming nostalgic for the 90's. Speaking of the 90's, I'd like to do a special shout out to Sunflowers perfume, and baby doll dresses.  You know who you are.  Anyway, dial it back a decade.  5th grade was a weird year for me (wasn't it weird for everyone?)  My teacher was a certified alcoholic, who spent most of the day reading the newspaper and negotiating his cowboy boots with the podium he used to hold said newspaper.  He never returned any of our assignments either, which is why I'm not sure I really even needed this beauty:

 
That's right...Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper.  I actually had this exact one.   I can just hear the velcro chorus of the classroom now.


And now I'd like to take a moment to reflect upon the epic fashion choice of choices: The Gem Sweater.  This one is special because I definitely had geometric gem sweaters and I know you did too.  And here to help me share this epic story of the monstrosity that is the Gem Sweater is our very own Leslie Hall. 





Signing off y'all...have a rad and excellent day my homies.

6 comments:

  1. Oh the charms, they just bring me right back. What Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those crazy charms!!! Nice post Jaimers. Totally takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEVER got into the gem sweaters I am pleased to say. Did rock the ish out of those canvas tote bags. Three words: Ton Sur Ton

    Love ya, Brickie,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not entirely positive I follow you Mo on the "Ton Sur Ton". Please enlighten. Oh, and I only had ONE gem sweater when I was like 9 or 10. 1989 dude...1989.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regardless, Leslie and the Ly's make me want to convert all of my boring non-bejeweled clothes into gem sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that my hair is longer, I may just re-rock the bang poof too. Gem sweaters, poofs, and LA Gears. We're like white guidos of Oakland Shore.

    ReplyDelete